Headache Relief Through Chiropractic Care

Most people experience a headache every now and then. But, when headaches start to occur on a regular basis, they can get in the way of your daily activities. Luckily, headache relief through chiropractic care can get you back to doing what you love. Here’s how.

Headache Triggers

Before we dive into how chiropractic care can help, let’s look at what triggers headaches. About 5 percent of headaches are caused by physical problems. These problems range from sinus infections to high blood pressure and more. The remaining 95 percent of headaches are primary headaches. This grouping includes cluster, tension and migraine headaches.

headache relief feature

Most primary headaches result from muscle tension in the neck. Why? Think of the lifestyle of the modern American. We spend more time today engaging in idle activities than ever before. Hours go by spent in one fixed position, like sitting at a desk typing on a computer. This lack of physical activity can increase muscle tension, not only in the neck but in the upper back and scalp as well. And, as expected, the tension can cause headaches.

Unlike other types of headaches, primary headaches aren’t caused by an underlying illness. In other words, the headache is the main concern, and one a chiropractor can help treat.

Chiropractic Headache Relief

By and large, chiropractic treatment relieves pain by focusing on the body’s alignment. In addition, it aims to improve movement and function and help the body heal naturally. How do chiropractors achieve these goals? They perform routine adjustments. This involves moving, stretching and manipulating the spine, as well as the joints and muscles.

When it comes to headache and migraine chiropractic care, chiropractors will perform spinal manipulation or adjustments to help improve mobility and function. In doing so, they also help relieve stress on the musculoskeletal system. This is the system that’s made up of bones, muscles, and other connective tissues. Simply put, its job is to support and move the body.

Why Chiropractic Care?

Your head throbs. You have trouble focusing on your work. So, you head straight for the medicine cabinet to pop a few pain relievers. But, after the medicine wears off, you’re back right where you started.

Regrettably, headache medicine only treats the symptom, but it does nothing to remedy the source. Chiropractic adjustment, on the other hand, has the ability to ease the pain by targeting the trigger. Even more, it can do so right away without the harmful side effects of pain medication. Plus, chiropractic care has also been shown to provide long-term headache relief.

Don’t suffer from headaches any longer than you have to. Make an appointment with Maryland Chiropractic & Physical Medicine in Edgewater, MD. Whether you have insurance or not, we’ll do everything in our power to help you live a life free of pain. That’s why we offer same-day and evening appointments. Call us today for a free consultation to see how chiropractic care can provide the headache relief you long for.